What is a breast reduction?
During a breast reduction surgery, Dr. Oberhelman removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body. The goal is to alleviate any physical or emotional discomfort associated with overly large breasts. Breast reduction surgery is also known as reduction mammoplasty.
Is it right for me?
Overly large breasts can cause women to have physical and emotional issues. If you are struggling with the weight and size of your breasts, breast reduction surgery may be a great option.
It is important to remember breast reduction surgery is a highly individualized procedure. You should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
Breast reduction is a good option for you if:
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
- Your breasts limit your physical activity
- You experience back, neck and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
- You have regular indentations from bra straps that support heavy breasts
- You have skin irritation beneath the breast crease
- Your breasts hang low and have stretched skin
- Your nipples rest below the breast crease when your breasts are unsupported
Will there be scarring from incisions?
The incisions are brought together to reshape the smaller breast. Sutures are layered deep within the breast tissue to create and support the newly shaped breasts; sutures, skin adhesives and/or surgical tape close the skin. Incision lines are permanent, but in most cases will fade and significantly improve over time.
What will recovery be like?
Recovery will take several weeks. You can expect to feel tired and experience some breast pain. Dr. Oberhelman will give you specific instructions for breast reduction recovery. The instructions will include:
- How to care for your breasts following breast reduction surgery,
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing, relieve pain and reduce the risk of infection
- When to come in for a follow-up appointment